Using a Standing Desk in Your New Home Office
New & Used Standing Home Office Desks in Atlanta, GA
If you’re like the millions of Americans now able to work from home, it’s important to consider all your options when it comes to office furniture. Office Furniture Expo in Atlanta, GA is your best source for new and used office furniture, including standing desks. In addition to the trend of working from home, more and more American workers are taking advantage of standing desks for the numerous benefits they provide. In fact, a standing desk can transform your workspace. While standing desks make sense in the office, they’re sometimes more practical at home. People who enjoy standing and the benefits it provides should take a good look at a standing desk. If you have enough room, you can even opt for both a traditional and a standing desk in your home. Even better than that, an adjustable height desk gives you the option to sit or stand, changing the height easily at any given time. Standing desks can do a lot for your health. Research indicates the average office worker sits down at their desk for about six hours a day. Long periods of sitting like this have been linked to health conditions such as obesity, cancer, and diabetes. Read on to learn more about the benefits of utilizing a home office standing desk.
The Benefits of a Standing Desk for Your Home Office
Many office workers take to hitting the gym before or after work, but an hour in the gym doesn’t quite make up for six hours in a seated position. Staying active throughout the day is essential, and taking frequent breaks can help. But, standing up every so often only goes so far. The best way to ensure you’re staying active throughout your workday is to take advantage of a standing desk. They’re positioned much higher than traditional desks and designed to be ergonomic for working on your feet. If you haven’t used a standing desk before, there will undoubtedly be an adjustment period. You’ll get used to it and enjoy the benefits over time. You should invest in an anti-fatigue mat and start slowly, working three or four hours standing up instead of a full day. You may also want to wear a comfortable pair of shoes unless you prefer to go barefoot at home. Standing desks might not be great for offices with low cubicle walls, but they can be ideal for home office setups.
The Health Benefits of a Standing Desk
The health benefits alone are reasons to invest in a standing desk for your home office. You’ll likely notice an increase in energy and focus and less chronic pain. In addition, you’ll experience unseen benefits like increased posture, decreased chances of obesity and type 2 diabetes, and a lower risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease. Learn more about the health benefits a home office standing desk can provide you:
- Increased energy – Sitting all day can make you feel lethargic. It can be challenging to keep your energy level up when you’re sitting and relaxing in a comfortable chair. A standing desk can help to increase your energy levels naturally. It’s much easier to “zone out” while seated at work. While you’re standing, you can add in the occasional lunge, stretch, or pacing activity to mix things up a bit.
- Better posture – Standing up straight does wonders for your core. Even if you have a supportive and ergonomic chair, sitting down for long periods is not great for your posture. You’ll need to be sure your monitor is positioned at eye level, so you aren’t looking down at it. Your desk should also be at the height that allows you to rest your arms on it comfortably.
- Less chronic pain – Sitting down too much to work can lead to chronic pain in the neck, back, or shoulders. Workers who take advantage of a standing or adjustable height desk often find immediate relief from this pain. Be sure to ease into using a standing desk, taking advantage of a cushioned floor mat, and supportive and comfortable footwear.
- Decreased obesity and type 2 diabetes – A Mayo Clinic study found that those who spent more time moving around at work had reduced chances of gaining weight, even if they ate more calories. An adjustable height desk encourages you to stay active throughout the day, making it a good investment for your health.
- Lower risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease – Sitting has been scientifically linked to a higher risk of cardiovascular disease and some types of cancer, most commonly breast and colon cancer. Standing while working can lower your risk of several serious diseases.
How a Standing Desk Can Save You Space
When considering a standing desk for your home office, most people only pay attention to the health benefits. While they’re plentiful, a standing or adjustable-height desk also has other benefits you might not think about. We all know that space is limited at home. Having a home office is great, but if your home isn’t big enough, it can be difficult trying to find enough space to be productive. You don’t want to give up your dining room or living room in order to make an office, so sometimes you have to get creative. While a large executive desk is a nice luxury, it might not be practical if you have cramped quarters. A standing desk eliminates the need for an office chair, immediately freeing up space. These types of desks also free up valuable floor space. That means you could use the area under your desk for storage space or other furniture or equipment. No need for floor space or an area for a chair frees up where you can place your desk as well.
Making Your Work Day More Mobile
The health benefits of standing up while working far outweigh those of being seated. An added bonus is the fact that being on your feet makes it easier to be mobile. Even though standing up from your chair is quick and easy, there’s a psychological block that makes many workers think that they shouldn’t get up or they’ll be less productive. If you’re already on your feet, you won’t feel as guilty getting away for a few minutes to take a quick walk or check on your kids or pets. It’s easier to get in a couple of stretches while you’re already standing as well. Workers who get plenty of exercise throughout the day are often more productive than those who rarely get up from their chairs.
Choosing the Best Standing Desk for Your Home Office
When you’re looking for the best selection of standing desks for your home office, look no further than Office Furniture Expo. We’ve helped many Atlanta, GA-area business owners and workers find the perfect office furniture. We carry new and used office desks at our full-service superstore. We offer merchandise selections from over 125 of the best names in furniture manufacturing. Choose from computer desks, contemporary desks, modular desks, ready-to-assemble desks, sit-to-stand desks, and traditional desks. You can take a look at some of our standing desks and try them out to see what you think. We also have everything else you need for your home office, including chairs, storage, tables, bookcases, and more. Contact us today to learn more about our standing desks.